PROFILE: Stuart Brooks
After qualifying from the University of St Mark and St John, I have worked in several Plymouth primaries, beginning at Salisbury Road Primary and currently working at Mount Wise Primary.
I am currently English and Science leader and am an active member within Plymouth Science. I have experience in both Key Stages but I have predominately taught in UKS2, securing high quality outcomes for children: in terms of both progress and attainment.
As a member of our leadership team, and via curriculum development, I have a range of experience leading every core subject and standardising/moderating across these too.
MY AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Coaching and development of science and maths leaders.
- Assessment of science and ‘greater depth’.
- Supporting and mentoring leaders with curriculum design.
- Providing INSETs and CPD sessions for whole staff and/or individuals.
- Delivery of subject knowledge sessions postgraduate and Schools Direct trainees.
- Resourcing and development of specialist curriculum spaces.
- Moderation and standardisation of science and maths across schools.
- Rental and loaning of science resources.
MY SUCCESS STORIES
As a SLE, I have been a member of the Science Hub for the past 6 years. I deliver CPD sessions to trainee teachers, NQTs/RQTs and experienced teaching staff and provide training at Science Open Hubs.
I bid for and created the first specialist science room in a Plymouth Primary school via the Ogden Trust, known as the ‘Phiz Lab’ based at Mount Wise Primary. Here, I organised the rental and loaning of science resource free-of-charge to all Plymouth primaries.
Over the years, I have provided countless support for leaders and coordinators in shaping and developing their science and maths curricula, moderating and standardising this process when and where needed.